Universal translator

Website Translation Widget

Cluster Maps

Monday, May 3, 2010

Okuribito (2008) Departures

I enjoyed this film immensely. I thought it was well thought out and beautifully shot. There are some beautiful scenic views shown that are lovely and thought provoking.
The movie is about a young man - Daigo Kobayashi (Masahiro Motoki) who works in a local symphony who loses his job and in an effort to pay off his cello he find himself in another career - encoffinment. Basically he is preparing the dead in front of mourners (all done very discreetly and respectfully) However his career makes everyone uneasy, including his wife.
I enjoyed the film, because the scenes dealing with bodies are done well and respectfully and insightfully.
It reminds me of a Sandman comic - from World's End - it involves a necropolis and an undertaker telling stories of burying the dead, by land, air, and water.
I find death rituals fascinating and this undoubtedly attracted me because of that and the lovely cello music that plays throughout and the scenic beauty of the small town Daigo returns to.
A quiet lovely film, perfect for a rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment