Universal translator

Website Translation Widget

Cluster Maps

Monday, July 27, 2009

Aimee and Jaguar (1998)

A beautiful and touching film. I cry every time I watch it, but I don't watch it much anymore. I have distinct memories of this film, and it makes me terribly sad. There aren't a lot of dramas about the Holocaust that focused on homosexuality, and this, along with the film Bent, serve as the mainstays. But, in their own right, both films are exceptional. The acting is superb and the stories are touching and deeply disturbing.
A must see, I think a great many people might gain something from viewing this film. Okay, I'll admit, I get tired of the the fact that in far too many movies lesbians end up dead or vampires, in this case, dead. But, admittedly, few come out of holocaust stories alive, hence the premise. The leading ladies are lovely and the costumes were excellent and it's a tragic story to behold. I found the moment with all the ladies sitting and singing Marlene Dietrich songs to be particularly poignant.
I recommend it, but maybe only if you've a yen for WWII era lesbian holocaust films.

No comments:

Post a Comment